Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My War Story! part II

I would like to start this next part of "My War Story" with another gravity check by illustrating a little more on the "defense in depth" set up by the enemy.

In our briefing, we were informed that the two routes leading into this town were consumed with a plethora of IEDs for miles out. Once the battalion passed most of them, we would be forced into a channeled area for quite a while. This would allow the enemy time to see us in advance. They had the gift of elevation. With this, the enemy could set up in bunkers and call for indirect mortar fire. Then, once the distance was closed, the enemy could start with heavy and medium machine gun fire from extreme cliff faces and elevations that would be unreachable by foot or motor. Lastly, our arrival to the entry point into the valley of this town was speculated to have a small minefield, and we would be faced with immediate small arms fire.

What would get us through this route of progressively perilous obstacles would be our determination, intestinal fortitude, and some extreme acts of superior air power. However, planes and helicopters can only do so much.

Part 2:

I had just found out that my platoon would be the first platoon out of the battalion to lead us all there, and Sgt Platz would guide us with Gunny and Flow Following in trace. Up to this moment, I couldn't have been happier to get this mission. Now I was a little more reserved knowing what we were going to face.




More and more intel kept flowing in as we rehearsed, along with changes to the plan. We, for sure, knew this was a town filled to the brim with Taliban ready to fight, and they may have had an inkling that we were coming.

I spent the next day updating myself with the auto-grenade launcher, SMAW rocket launcher, and teaching my Marines the same. This is when the Gunner informed me that the enemy was confirmed to be in the mountains, in caves with no way out. They were going to fight to the death, and take as many of us with them as they could. This is when my long time friend and true war seasoned confidant, Brian Oberschmid, turned to me and said "good luck!"


The day was set to leave the COP. We all loaded up in our vehicles and started the full two-day journey south. We crossed the Helmand River and traversed the dunes. There was absolutely nothing for miles but heat and sand.

After two days of driving, we arrived at our staging/ screen line point. This area was a dry valley about thirteen hours outside of the town. We set in security for the night and went to sleep.

The next morning the battalion had arrived, we were all set into a 360-degree circle that was bigger than most towns in rural areas. We spent that whole day doing final rehearsals, weapons checks, and any updates to planning needed. Also, we used this area to intercept any traffic in or out of the town as people made their way north. This was to keep the town in the dark on what was about to happen.

We had a couple hours to ourselves before we launched into this. Most of us took this time to get our mind right. I personally listened to some music to pump me up and wrote a letter to my wife; a letter stating my goodbyes and final will for her and my son. I have never done this in the past. I have never felt the need. Now I did.

It was almost time to go. My platoon commander got the call to come into the company area for final revisions to the plan. I went with him since I was on his vehicle and I usually need to know if there is going to be any changes to what the scouts will do.

Upon arriving at the company area, I stepped out of my vehicle and two other Marines that I have know for a while, Oberschmid (Company Chief Scout), and Mendiaz (CO's gunner), came straight over to me and gave me big hugs. They too knew what my platoon was up against. It was our moment of respect, good luck, and goodbyes.

The plan was to start driving towards the town in the middle of the night. We would arrive around 3 am. We would use the cover of darkness, and hours of artillery and air support bombarding the enemy as we approach. This would stop the enemy from sleeping so they would be delirious and scared when we showed up on thier front door.

Part of the plan was, once the first few vehicles were hit with IEDs (my platoon), we would pull over if possible and allow the battalion to pass us. Medical would eventually show up and help. No matter what, the battalion wasn't stopping.

I had already planned to get out, if alive, and jump on the next vehicle. I wasn't going to miss this.

Now the time had come! We were loaded up. The hour had struck, and I had made my peace with God. I had written my final words to my family, since I hadn't talked to them in a month. Engines were running and radio checks were done. Every moment of our military career had lead us to this point.


We had trained for everything. Some of us seasoned, some of us ready to experience organized chaos for the first time. Come hell or high water, this town would fall at the hands of U.S. Marines.

Then the rains came...


Part III, God's intervention and the conclusion coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment