Saturday, February 11, 2012

Only smart people know the age of the earth: part 1

It is difficult to work out the age of the Great Barrier Reef. This is because of the way a reef can grow and shrink as the sea level changes. A coral reef can grow in diameter, that is how wide they are, from 1 to 2 cm per year. They can also grow upwards from 1 to 15 cm per year. Coral can not grow if the water is too deep (150 meters or more) because it needs light from the sun. They cannot grow out of the water (above sea level) wikipedia.com

I recently watched National Geographic: Amazing Planet, and as I sat on the couch I found myself pausing the show and asking my beautiful wife if she just heard what I did.

Let me set the stage. I was not by any means raised in a Christian household. Quite the opposit. I was taught to question everything and to choose my belief system. It is because of this that I became a Christian. Now that I am a Christian, I still question even my own religion, yet I still come up with confidence in my faith. God proves himself to me daily.

So on that note, I always wonder how professionals or scholars know the age of the earth. Go ahead, tell me carbon dating. sorry, carbon dating is not by any means accurate with in a million year bracket to scientists, and not accurate at all to science or math. There are too many variable that skew the data right or left (ya, I learned that in my stats class).

Back to Nat Geo. In episode two of the above listed show, the narrator states that the great barrier reef is somewhere around 3 million years old. She states that fact with authority. It must have been observed and tested. I would love to find that video or test summary.

So I looked it up on wikipedia.org to see if the facts line up. Well they didn't (see above). To state the obvious, the narrator talks about how the planets continental shelves have shifted over the last million years. This shift changed the ocean currents along with temperatures. Currants and temperatures that cannot sustain a coral reef for the area.

This is the problem with science today. Theories continue to contradict themselves but we are to except them all in harmony as fact with outproof.

Question and analyze everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment